About me and this Blog

I am a woman of a certain age who has finally been able to enjoy my love of horses Initially to ride them but as time has gone on I have learnt there is more to horses than riding them and want to share this with you.
Alison

I have 2 other blogs, feel free to browse,
i-clickphotos.blogspot.co.uk

you can follow me on Twitter @alisonbarton1

Saturday 31 March 2012

If I won the lottery would I......?


We had another “if we won the lottery" chats last night and it throws up a real conundrum for me. If I had the money would I then buy my own horse/ horses.

I am a novice in all ways riding and Horse care, but I know enough to know how little I do know. It seems to me owning and caring for horses is a huge responsibility that some people don’t think enough about.

The situation is bad enough with dog ownership in this country (the UK) I don’t know if laws in other countries control owners and protect animals better?

I have two dogs the oldest is 13 the other her daughter is nearly 11. I am very comfortable looking after them. But a great big horse is another issue. I take my hat off to all of you who obviously do a good job in your care schooling and riding of your horses. The stories you tell of your adventures together and that wonderful relationship you build is very tempting, something I yearn for inside. But my head tells me I couldn’t manage and I should just go on with my lessons and learning as I go and enjoying that OH!

Good job I haven’t won the lottery then so I don’t have to really have to make any decision and occasionally I can just dream ahh!But how would winning the lottery (a big win) change your horsey life?)

Love Alison x

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that conundrum as well. I love my horse riding and if I had enough money I really would think about the possibility of buying a horse. Its made worse for me when like this week we've had such beautiful weather and there's something in side of me that just wants to be down a stables tacking up and heading on out for a hack to enjoy the sunshine.

Its a lovely idea but as you say its the responsibilities that come with it. I've worked on the principle its good to have dreams, even if they don't come true. In the meantime I look to enjoy my lessons and if I can fit in any extra riding, then I try to ;o) Although there is still that part of me that would love to have my own horse. x

Unknown said...

Exactly thanks for reading

Martine said...

When we took our first home from the riding school where we used to keep her, I felt exactly the same as I felt when I took my first child home from the maternity hospital, so I do understand what you're saying!
You might find that you feel differently in a year or two. A good supportive riding school/livery yard also makes a huge difference.

lmel said...

Yes, I always thought some day, some day. And when that day arrived and I had my own, I felt like I'd gone over the moon. Yes, there's a lot of responsibility that goes with it, and John (being a horseman) has been wonderful. The only thing is I'd like to have our horses at home, not boarded since it would be so much easier to not have to make the extra trek somewhere each day. And if I don't see them on a daily basis, I feel very negligent! The next dream--bring them home!

Unknown said...

Martine and Imel, I think if I won the lottery I now know what I would do and you and Martine' comments have helped me, should that day arrive. I would do it in stages, I would ask an expert perhaps my Instructor who I really trust to help me find the right horse for me. So we could grow together. Keep it in a Yard like Martine said where the horse would get proper care and take lessons together. I would also start some formal equine care course and then one day move to having my own horses at home. With a wonderful set up and the knowledge to enjoy it. So thank you Imel and Martine should I wo a huge amount of money I will let you know ha
Alison x

Unknown said...

Imel, I think if I won the lottery I now know what I would do and you and Martine' comments have helped me, should that day arrive. I would do it in stages, I would ask an expert perhaps my Instructor who I really trust to help me find the right horse for me. So we could grow together. Keep it in a Yard like Martine said where the horse would get proper care and take lessons together. I would also start some formal equine care course and then one day move to having my own horses at home. With a wonderful set up and the knowledge to enjoy it. So thank you Imel and Martine should I wo a huge amount of money I will let you know ha
Alison x